The complete Tourism Grant Policy can be downloaded here: [pdf link]
A "How to" guide for completing a Tourism Grant application: [pdf link]
The Tourism Grant program is funded by the 4% Lodging Facility Use Tax. The grant funding pool is approximately $750,000.
- The grant program is not intended to be a sustainable funding source. The amount and frequency of grant awards an applicant organization has received will be taken into consideration.
- No “pass through” entities may be utilized to apply for grant funding. Applicant organization must own and be legally responsible for the project seeking grant funds.
- No state or federal agencies may apply.
- Montana nonprofit organization
- Montana tribal government
- Montana city or county government
- Applicant organizations may not apply more than once per fiscal year.
- Applications will be evaluated on a pass/fail rating system.
- Priority will be given to projects that:
- Clearly define how the project will be marketed once complete.
- Have been identified as key tourism projects in a professionally-conducted community master planning process.
- Are supported by one or more of the following tourism partners: an official Montana Tourism Region, Convention and Visitors Bureau, or Tourism Advisory Council.
The applicant match must be "hard" dollars, an actual money investment in the project. The cash match is $1 grantee: $2 state. In-kind services are not considered a qualified match. The match must be applied to the project as outlined in the grant application: